How to delete Windows.old folder from Windows 10
Do you want to remove Windows.old folder from your computer but don’t know how? You have come to the right place. Windows 10 is the final operating system from Microsoft. All the users are migrating from old Windows versions to the this final version. First XP was removed from the support and now with support ending for Windows 7 too, it is more important now more than ever. But there is a big problem with upgrading to Windows 10 as it creates a Windows.old folder in C drive. This file is not a short folder, it take too much of space. It becomes quite hard for PCs with low hard disk to work properly when that much of space is being wasted for nothing. That Windows.old folder has all the settings and files from the older version of the OS that you don’t need any more. So it is total waste of memory to keep those files if you are going to use them ever.
Apart from this, Windows 10 also keep create this folders after any major update so that if anything goes wrong you can reset your PC. But after some time when everything is fine, you should delete that windows.old folder to create more space. Once major problem is, it’s not easy to delete that folder. Simple delete command will not work on this folder because it is a part of your Windows. So this guide will help you to delete that folder and make some extra space. One more thing, this windows.old folder is set delete automatically after 30 days. So if you want to delete it immediately, then keep reading.
Best Way to Delete Windows Old Folder
There are two ways to delete this folder from your computer. We are going to discuss both methods here. So sit tight and follow the instruction.
Delete Windows.old using Disk Cleanup
- Type Disk Cleanup in the search box and then open it when it appears in result.
- Now select the C drive from pop-up windows that appear on the screen and click OK.
- Then select Clean up system files and click Ok to continue.
- Now choose previous windows installation option and click OK.
- A dialogue box will appear on screen to ask for confirmation then click OK.
- It will start deleting the folder, wait for it and you can have some extra space.
Delete windows.old using cmd
- Type cmd in search box and run it as administrator.
- Input “rd /s /q %systemdrive%\windows.old” and hit Enter.
After doing this, your windows.old folder will get deleted. Now you will have some extra space that can help your PC run smoothly or you can store some files.